When the school was created in 1914, 37 students enrolled.
Enrollment has grown exponentially over the years. Today the student body is made up of more than 4,000 undergraduate students pursuing 18 majors and approximately 1,200 students pursuing six master`s degrees.
The first bachelor`s degree by the School of Commerce and Marketing was granted in 1916, and apparently there was a master`s degree available at that time, also.
Georgina M. Holt
Georgina M. Holt was hired as the first business teacher at the college in 1898. She resigned in 1903 to marry Dr. Lowery Layman Lewis, who was instrumental in getting the School of Commerce and Marketing established.
Willard Rude joined the faculty in 1916 and served as department head from 1920 to 1945. He won the trophy in a yearly contest for shorthand penmanship sponsored by Gregg Publishing Company so many times that the company was forced to retire the trophy to Rude.
H.W. Moorhouse, who joined the faculty in 1913 as professor of political economy and marketing, was appointed as the first dean during the 1915-1916 academic year.
Chester Gould, who achieved worldwide fame as the creator of the comic strip “Dick Tracy” in 1930, had enrolled as a freshman in the School of Commerce and Marketing in 1920 (although he transferred to Northwestern University in 1922).
Raymond D. Thomas
Raymond D. Thomas served as the dean from 1929 to 1957. His 28 years was the longest tenure of any dean of the Spears School.
The year 1964 was a dual celebration for the school. It was the golden anniversary of the establishment of the college, and it was the year of the groundbreaking ceremony for the new building.
They were Major General Ted Sanford, Mr. Leo E. Lowry, Mr. Harold R. Logan, Mr. Raymond A. Young and Mr. Alfred O. Savage. The members were named at the golden anniversary banquet in 1964. The Hall of Fame`s purpose is to honor outstanding alumni who have distinguished themselves in some way after graduation.
From 1925 to 1966, Morrill Hall served as “home” for the College of Business Administration. The building was originally built in 1906 as the administration building for the ever-growing Oklahoma A&M College.
William S. Spears
Spears, who believes deeply in the power of education, provided a generous gift to endow the business school at his alma mater in 2004. Through his leadership, vision and commitment, he improved the quality of business education for current and future business students. He was inducted into the Spears School Hall of Fame in 2005.
L. Lee Manzer
Manzer has taught more than 30,000 students at OSU. He has received more than 20 teaching awards for his work with undergraduate students, including school and university level recognition, and was inducted into the Oklahoma Higher Education Hall of Fame in 2010.
The School of Commerce and Marketing
It was the first school in the United States to establish a department of marketing. The school has known various names over the years, such as The College of Business Administration. It is now the Spears School of Business.
Old Engineering Building
In 1922, the School of Commerce and Marketing recorded the largest enrollment of any of the six schools on the campus, and it got its first official building, called the Old Engineering Building.
Duck-Woo Nam, who earned a doctorate in economics, was appointed finance minister by President Park Chung-hee in 1969 and served in the role until 1974. From 1974 to 1978, Nam was deputy prime minister in charge of economic policies during South Korea`s industrial development. Under President Chun Doo-hwan, Nam was the prime minister from 1980 to 1982. Then from 1983 to 1991, Nam served as the head of the Korea International Trade Association. Duck-Woo Nam died May 18, 2013 at the age of 89.
Raymond D. Thomas
The Raymond D. Thomas Award is presented annually to the top senior in the Spears School. It is named in honor of Raymond Doty Thomas, who was dean of the school from 1929 through 1957.
Richard W. Poole
Richard W. Poole became dean in 1965. He resigned the position in 1972 to become vice president for University Relations and Development. His contributions to the college and the university are countless.
Established as the School of Commerce and Marketing in 1914, it has undergone a number of name changes over the years. In 1924, it became the School of Commerce; in 1937, the Division of Commerce; in 1955, the Division of Business; in 1958, the College of Business; in 1969, the College of Business Administration; in 2004, the William S. Spears School of Business, and it is currently the Spears School of Business.
Four students were in the first graduating class of the School of Commerce and Marketing in 1916. The school has graduated students every year since then, including a record 1,031 receiving their diplomas in 2012.
All of the above
These are just a few of the political and world leaders, prominent businessmen and women, authors and world policymakers who have spoken in Tulsa and Oklahoma City at the Spears School’s nationally recognized series.